What do you look for in a club?

National and general strip club topics.

What do you look for in a club?

Postby xssx » Mon Jan 02, 2012 3:42 am

I'm planning to reopen a club that was shut down about a year ago. The club has been there under several names for 40 years. The good is that I can walk in to a ready made business. The bad is I'm walking into a ready made business with a reputation as a dirty (messy) club with poor management and at times so-so girls that has employed honey bees, wanna bees and use to bees. :geek:

I have a friend who stripped for 17 years who knows the ins and outs and is helping me with it so luckily I have that going for me. I'm looking for as much input or pointers as I can get from , owners, dancers, DJ's and customers on what you look for in a club and ideas I can use.

I have a few things to consider. The club I'm looking at is in a suburb that is about 10 miles from the city where there are some pretty big name clubs. The city clubs allow topless and touching laws are not enforced. In the suburb pasties and g string are as far as you can go and I'm going to have vice up my butt for a while to make sure all laws are being followed. I'm close to several hotels and the Interstate whihc is on my side and parking at my club is easy and safe opposed to the city clubs.

Obviously 95% of my income will come from Alcohol sales. In order to sell I need cutomers and for that I need some of the better looking dancers in the area. I planned to at least for the first 6 months allow the dancers to work without paying the club a fee. It is a small club 2300 sqft total. Should I have the Dancers pay a fee to the DJ and also pay the DJ? This is the area I really want some opinions on. Also would you charge a cover? I was considering charging a cover but at the same time including a free drink with the cover to stop window lookers from hanging out in the club.

Obviosuly I have the fine lines to grapple with of keeping a clean club while I'm under watch from Vice and at the same time creating a new image and being a club people both customers and dancers (since they go hand in hand) want to come to. Since it is my strong beleif that the dancers will bring me customers I think I need to make them a a real good deal as far as coming to work at the club. What are your thoughts and suggestions? What is the normal practice at other clubs?

Also for a small club can you all suggest a sound system with the DJ set up I should consider. I would also like to update the lighting to give a new appearance. All thoughts and ideas are appreciated.
xssx

Re: What do you look for in a club?

Postby SCC_Admin » Tue Jan 03, 2012 4:49 pm

My preference is for nude clubs. That's what we go to see when we visit a strip club. Liquor is not a concern as we can drink before or after we go to the strip club or not at all. Pasties and g-strings don't thrill me. What do you like in a strip club? Most guys probably like the same thing.

Your revenue will mostly come from alcohol sales if you have a license. But dancer fees are going to make up a big chunk of your revenue. Dancer fees and cover charge will make up your revenue if you don't serve booze. Clubs depending on location may charge dancers $50 - $100 a night to dance. If you have 20 dancers on a shift during a weekend night with two shifts that is $2,000 to $4,000 a night in revenue just from that. Depending on where you located and how pretty your dancers are, a cover charge can bring in $10 to $20 per customer. Some clubs have to pay their dancers minimum wage which they make up out of the dancer fees. You best find out what is going on in your area. There have been several lawsuits around the country the past few years and in many/most cases the clubs have to pay back wages.

A suburb is going to pay more attention to a strip club than a big city with real crime to fight. If any of your dancers violates the law in a private booth should you have them, even if you the owner have strict policies against such things, the city may try to yank your liquor license, maybe your business permit. If your competitors 10 miles away allow touching and you don't, that is going to be tough to compete with. Why would a guy go to your clean club if he can touch tits 10 miles away? You could try to level the playing field and write some letters to the mayor and council of the big city and let them know what is going on if they don't already know and ask them to enforce the touching laws. That could make you some enemies and there is no guarantee that anyone will care.

Your type of club should be whichever brings you the most amount of money. Nude juice bars can make good money from cover charges and dancer fees without liquor licenses. Which type of club would bring you the most customers and which one would you like to own most?

As for the challenge of booking dancers, on day one of operation how many customers will you have? If you aren't willing to spend several thousand dollars on advertising, you probably won't have many. So why would a dancer want to work in a new club for little or no money when she can stay at her current club and have an idea of how much she can make? Waving dancer fees for the first few months may entice some dancers to come work at your club. What matters most to them is how much is in their purse at the end of the night. A few clubs out in the rural areas have paid base wages of $300 a week to get dancers to work for them. You could do all sorts of things like waiving the fee to work there to giving the dancers a slice of the cover charge or drink sales, which would give the dancers participation and encourage them to get their regulars and friends to visit your club because the more customers in the door the more they make.

It's a bad economy and it isn't the best of times for starting a strip club. Many dancers are struggling and a lot of clubs are making it harder for them by booking more dancers than they need. Being in a suburb, you are not going to have the business or convention travelers like the big city. You probably won't have the big spenders like the big city, not unless you can build a reputation over time. New strip clubs do fail. They are not guaranteed to succeed. There was one that opened in the midwest a few years ago that failed. The owners lost their $50,000 investment. That's a small investment. Making a big investment in this economy may not be the best decision. You could always open and reinvest some of your profits into your club making it nicer over time. Check eBay for used equipment and furnishings if you need any.

If you run a clean club and stay within the law you can have a nice income for life. If you or any of your dancers funs afoul of the law, you can see everything gone. Good luck to you.
SCC_Admin
Administrator
Administrator

Re: What do you look for in a club?

Postby xssx » Sat Jan 07, 2012 9:18 pm

Ok a few clarifications but I do appreciate your response. If it was up to me I would have a fully nude club. However local laws prohibit it. The city government and the jurisdiction I'm located in are different and is why I have more restrictions but even they do not have fully nude. They have topless. Obviously less restrictions are good but even though the clubs 10 miles away offer less restrictions they also offer less safety and parking availability and access to the club. I have several busy hotels that surrond the club I'm looking at.

Even though it was a dive when in business it still grossed 300,000 in annual sales according to the sales tax records he claimed. So ut does enough business to make it worth while and I think I can do better than what he did by cleaning the place up a little and updating the club.

I agree times are hard for most bars right now but when you add girls into the mix it certainly makes it easier. I also have the option for Video poker Gaming in my club so that brings in revenue also.
xssx

Return to General Strip Club Discussion