Is it illegal to make the dancer tip out the DJ?

National and general strip club topics.

Is it illegal to make the dancer tip out the DJ?

Postby djcabaret » Fri Feb 26, 2010 5:38 pm

Ive been working as a DJ at a few strip clubs for a while and everyone of them had a minimum tip out to the DJ.  $10 or %10 which ever amount is greater... The one I'm working at now says that it is illegal to make dancers tip out the DJ and thats it is extortion of there tips.  Which is total BS because we constantly cater to them and play there music and clean the stage. If they're there on time there house fee is only 10$ so why would it be to much to ask for a minimum tip out for the DJ??
djcabaret

Re: Is it illegal to make the dancer tip out the DJ?

Postby SCC_Admin » Sat Feb 27, 2010 12:04 pm

Which state and city do you work in?  Some states prohibit management from requiring employees to share tips with management and supervisors.  Some don't.  Many restaurants require wait staff to share tips with other employees like cooks and bussers.  Most strippers are general contractors and not employees.  Whether a club can require a non employee dancer to share her income is going to depend on local law. 
SCC_Admin
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Exotic-Dancer-Goodies » Sat Apr 03, 2010 7:31 am

Well I think it should be optional for dancers to tip the DJ but that they should still tip the DJ.

But there are some clubs that do not pay the DJ and they rely on the dancer's tips. I have seen several clubs charge over $30 for house fee or tip out for the dancers to work and up to $100 if they are late depending on what day it is. And the security is always begging them for tips too!

In general I feel that the dancers are extorted in many ways but every business has its overhead and I see them all as entrepreneurs.

www.exoticdancergoodies.net
Exotic-Dancer-Goodies

Postby djcabaret » Sun Feb 13, 2011 5:16 pm

I'm in Dallas.. Come to find out it had something to do with whether or not the DJ's were technically considered independent contractors or something..

And in reply to Exotic-Dancer-Goodies:
I'm not the kind of DJ that expects money from the every girl no matter what.. I think I came off wrong because when I posted that I had just got screwed over in a tip out situation.
I'm really good about being able to play to the crowd and meet some of the girls halfway on music format in order to make everybody happy.. But here's the crazy part and you can ask any experienced DJ and I'd bet he'd tell you the same thing because I've heard this from so many DJ it's basically a rule of thumb for all DJs.
The entertainers that come in on time, have good attitudes, and just trust the DJ to play them something good that the crowd will like and never complain.... Those kind of girls are typically 30-40% of the entertainers. Those girl are the easiest and most fun girls to work with.. And!! Those girls tip out the MOST! LOL... Sorry but it's really funny how the girls that I work the least amount for give me the most money....
Now on the other hand you got at least one but usually 3 or 4 girls each shift that come in late talkin' about there babys daddys mammas drama... They come in and take fooorrreeevvveerrr to get ready(meanwhile the DJ has to over work the good girls who were on time and ready), and once they are ready they either don't go check in with the DJ to be put on rotation or they come try to sweet talk the DJ into putting them at the bottom of the list for no reason other than they're tired/hung over (i.e. lazy) or because they want to get drunk first. These are the girls that give DJs the most problems... We'll have a crowd of mostly older men and they want to dance to r&b and Techno all night or we'll have a young crowd with alot of energy and they'll want to dance to some slow or depressing music... They always complain about the stage being dirty, late to stage, want you to download all kinds of off the wall songs that aren't really strip club friendly etc etc etc... Basicly those are bitches that stiff the DJ.... WTF?
Now, after a while of DJing and learning this I just shut them out so I'm not letting them get to me even though putting a DJ through all that work and hell and they have a good night and make a grand or two and they don't give the DJ anything.... zero? That's just not right and can be extremely frustrating if you don't ignore it.

Lastly you have your 60-70% of your "average" tipping girls.. These girls are usually 10-15$ tippers... However they're not a complete pain in the ass to work with and they usually hook you up when they have a really good night.. When they have a terrible night I tell them to not worry about tipping me out..
All I want to know is if they have a good night then I have a good night.. If they don't make much? I dont make much... Make's sense to me and thats the way it usually is other than just thos few girls you get each shift. So I guess you just gotta take the bad with the good..
djcabaret

Return to General Strip Club Discussion